One popular knife that many people in Alaskan use when cooking is the ulu. This particular knife is a traditional Eskimo knife that has been around for thousands of years. What is unique about the ulu is mostly its design, which features a curved knife blade. Although it isn’t like the conventional knives found in most households today, the ulu has several benefits, making it the go-to tool for those who love to cook, and unique among Alaskan knives in Fairbanks, AK.
Here are five benefits of using the ulu when cooking:
- Blades last longer than regular knives: Over time, all knives will become dull. When this happens, you will have to get them sharpened. What people love about the ulu is that the blades last longer than those of conventional knives. This is because of how you use the knife to cut. Instead of sawing your food, you are quickly cutting it, which puts less pressure on the blade and allows it to stay sharper longer.
- Higher cutting power: Not all food you cut is going to be easy to get through. Your strength can help you cut your food easier, but you also need a quality knife with high cutting power. The curved blade of an ulu actually rolls as you are cutting your food, so the cutting power is high. Whether you are cutting fruits, veggies or meats, you can be sure the blade can easily be worked through it.
- Holds food in place while cutting: If you think about it, most people who injure themselves in the kitchen are probably cutting something. Oftentimes, they sustain these injuries while slicing, chopping or cutting because they are holding the food in place to keep it from moving. The ulu’s design actually allows it to pin food down while you are cutting. This reduces your chances of getting cut and having to take time off from cooking.
- Easy to use: With kitchen work happening all of the time, you need to be able to operate the tools you use with ease. The easier these things are to use, the less likely you are to get hurt. When using the ulu, the knife has the power, so all you need to do is guide it. Anyone who has multiple sclerosis, arthritis or any other medical condition that prevents them from easily handling knives and other tools may find the ulu beneficial.
- Versatility: Most of the knives you currently have in your kitchen can only be used for one thing. For example, you may use one specific knife for chopping, another for slicing and so on. The ulu, however, can chop, slice, dice and more. This can be helpful when you are chopping up different things because you don’t need to dirty more dishes. Just clean off the ulu and move on the next food item.
People have their preference as to what type of knives they want to use in the kitchen. With there being so many different types on the market, you will be able to find the perfect knife for you. If the ulu sounds like the ideal knife and meets all your cooking needs, it might be time to purchase yourself this unique kitchen tool.
Interested in the ulu or other Alaskan knives in Fairbanks, AK? Please visit Arctic Travelers Gift Shop to learn more and browse our selection.
Categorised in: Alaskan Knives
This post was written by Writer